A Moreland Community Arts Project
In 2017 I received a grant from Moreland City Council to co-ordinate the creation the Moreland Quilt: a community project collaborating with local business, artists, community groups, neighbourhood houses, schools and age-care facilities.
The five textile wallhangs created during the project are now permanently on display at Glenroy Library, Sussex Neighbourhood House, Brunswick Neighbourhood House, Newland Community House and Robinson Reserve Neighbourhood House.
The project created five large textile Quilts representing Moreland resident’s cultural diversity, whilst recording the history of participants. The project recorded local stories and was designed to represent the culture and history of local residents and businesses through imagery, colour, stitch, fabric and embellishment.
Project events included:
- Sessions at local neighbourhood houses to stitch and chat;
- Sessions in Moreland studio spaces, community centres, schools and age care facilities;
- Uploading participants stories and photographs to the Creatives and Makers blog;
- Posting images of the creation of the quilts on CreativeandMakers.com.au, Instagram and other social media – #morelandquilt.
The project was designed to foster the development of new friendships, networks and collaborations.
- All Residents of Moreland were invited to participate
- Moreland Artists were invited to share their creative skills with the design and creation of the quilt.
- Neighbourhood houses, studios, galleries, age care facilities, religious centres, schools, kindergartens and libraries hosted sessions
- Local business participated as collection points and with the contribution of materials
- Craft and creative groups assisted with sharing their skills with others at sessions
- Local history groups assisted with the collection of stories, memories and local history
Participates were invited to be kept up-to-date on all events, information and the creation of the Moreland Quilt through:
- signing up to the mailing list
- facebook.com/MorelandQuilt/ and