Learn to create your own one of a kind upcycled handbag using all upcycled and recycled materials. This bag workshop is designed to give you a flavour of how easy making a bag can be (and how satisfying!) if someone just shows you the ropes. And you will be given a complete set of instructions with each workshop to make sure that you have all that you need to make your bags at home.
This workshop runs for a full day and is suitable for both beginners and more experienced stitchers. Men are encouraged to attend! Use the contact form to register for the next workshop or to arrange a date if there are four or more of you interested.
Some tools, fabrics and materials will be provided .
What to bring:
- Sewing machine serviced/in good working order,
- All feet (darning or free motion embroidery, as well as normal sewing foot), accessories, manual & extension table. For free motion embroidery, you will need to know how to lower, or on some models, cover the feed teeth. Please refer to your machine manual or contact your dealer,
- Spare needles and extra bobbins,
- Fabric for the outside of your bag. It needs to be non stretch fabric and in total you will need about 100 x 140cm. Upholstery fabrics and samples work well. We will be piecing fabric together to create the base fabric for your bag so scraps from 10cm or so are fine.
- Lining fabric in total 100 x 140cm. Old linen, silk or cotton shirts work well. Need to be non stretch. These are easy to find in op shops or maybe one from your wardrobe you no longer wear.
- Any special thread you would like to try to use (machine embroidery thread will be provided),
- Personal sewing kit (scissors, pins and needles)
- Note book and pen
- Your imagination and enthusiasm